Words have power. Written words provide proof. You can read them, and reread them whenever you want. They can speak life to someone who needs encouragement. They can speak death to someone who is being deceived. The choice lies within you. How is it that you want people to remember you? Encourager...that is the gift that God has laid on my heart. To use my written, spoken, and/or sung words to lift people up. To be one link in their road to healing, restoration, joy. I have been without those things, and I claim them to be mine again. If you want me to seek God on a prayer for a specific situation...that is why I am here. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to pray God's Word of Life over you.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

They See You Loud & Clear (Day THREE-30 Day Challenge)

I’ve been thinking about this post on day three since I hit ‘Publish’ on day one. I’ve been a bit anxious about it. Today…is my test. Today I am starting completely from nothing. And today I HAVE to write in a timely manner, as it is a school day for my three oldest children. 2013 First Day of School 066 Eeeek…let’s do this! =)

“Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the Word of Life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.” Philippians 2:14-16

I warned you that I am becoming a woman of God who focuses on specific words in Scripture. I am tired of skimming over radically, life-changing words. Let’s re-read the very first part of that passage in Philippians. “Do everything without complaining or arguing.” Okay, now get out your Bible and notebook from yesterday. I’d love for you to underline that whole passage I highlighted above. Circle the word…everything. Now open your notebook and write a list of things  would not be included in the word ‘everything’. Done? Okay good…THOSE are the things you are allowed to argue and complain about. If you wrote down anything at all…you didn’t understand the exercise. Haha. It’s okay…there is no condemnation here. Just flip the page. Start fresh. I want you to be staring at a blank page in a notebook. Picture it the next time you are speaking argumentative or complaining words.

For the most part, the Word of God really is simple. The enemy takes joy in telling us otherwise. he loves to confuse. he loves to whisper thoughts of doubt. he loves to discourage before we even start. he knows that if we open up our Bible and dive into it…we WILL be forever changed. he knows the Word better than you and I. (Ouch!) he can see us when we are studying it. he can hear us when we pray it. he knows how important it is that we meet together with other ‘like-minded’ Christians and learn it. And each choice we make to further our knowledge of Christ…we have a spectator.

The cool thing is…that we also have an army of angels that are cheering for us while we read Scripture. They know that, “The Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.” Hebrews 4:12-13 In my Bible I have these verses underlined and starred. I drew some fancy, spiked half sun looking things around the words ‘living’ and ‘active’. And lastly, I drew a sweet sword. (Okay. Okay. I will admit that the sword I drew is awful. I am so NOT artsy in my drawing ability. Seriously…tears of laughter and amazement (at my pure genius lack of ability) when I tried to play the Post-It Note game. Lol!)

Non-Christians. New Christians. Skeptical Christians. They are watching. They are waiting for us to live this verse. They really do WANT us to. They are looking for a people willing to actually LIVE how the Word says to. Can you say that you do EVERYTHING without arguing? Can you say that you never complain about anything? This is not a guilt trip I am taking you on. Don’t go packing your bags for that trip. I promise I DO NOT BELIEVE that I am not holier than you. I am not above. I am with you in these trenches. I see the flaming arrows that are flying by from the enemy. Arrows of shame. Arrows laced with guilt. Arrows covered with words waiting to be spoken in the heat of your anger. Some days I stand up, close my eyes and allow them to pierce me.
And once that arrow is in my hand, in my heart I choose where they go. Sadly enough, there are days that I dare use them against those I claim to love. Those are the days I am not living in line with these Words from Paul in the passage from Philippians 2.


The Word of God speaks loudest and clearest when we live without arguing and complaining. Today is a new day. You never have to live in yesterday’s failures. THAT is what grace, mercy and forgiveness are all about. Learn what God has for you. Let it sink in deep. Mark up your Bible with what HE spoke to you today. Write down in your journal the answer to this question...

“How can I strive this week to make Christ more of a focus of my days?”

Write simple, realistic goals. I want you to succeed. Success is not only satisfying...it leaves you feeling fulfilled! Doesn't it feel good to accomplish something on a list to-do's or want-to's? You can even write the list and post it on your fridge. Whatever it takes to help it to sink in! Make HIM a priority today...because you are always a priority to Him. You are always on His mind. He is always available to you...ALWAYS!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a powerful message! It seems so juvenile, like a Sunday school lesson not to "complain and argue"..but as old or "mature" we get in the faith...it's what God asks us to do! How easily I forget! Often it's what I "know" that leads to my arrogance or "excuse" to complain and grumble against those around me. But unless we throw off our complaining and arguing selves--we canNOT be blameless and pure before Him! How precious are those people, and family members God has placed around us every day--yet like you said..those are the people we often hurt! One of my goals (and major revelations) this morning was this: "To begin to see my home & family as my place of ministry----and not as something that keeps me from it!" The other "aha" I had was about complaining and arguing. I actually said out loud while I was reading this post, "Okay, 1 person can choose not to complain, but 2 people have to choose not argue." But the Holy Spirit convicted me with a big, "Nope! Not true!" 1 person can choose not to argue--and not fall into arguing (regardless of others attitudes or words!) It is my choice to argue, or not to argue. Someone may tempt me into an argument--but I am held responsible for MY response and attitude. Thanking God for His Truth! Thanking Him that "Nothing is hidden from His sight!"

    ReplyDelete