Words have power. Written words provide proof. You can read them, and reread them whenever you want. They can speak life to someone who needs encouragement. They can speak death to someone who is being deceived. The choice lies within you. How is it that you want people to remember you? Encourager...that is the gift that God has laid on my heart. To use my written, spoken, and/or sung words to lift people up. To be one link in their road to healing, restoration, joy. I have been without those things, and I claim them to be mine again. If you want me to seek God on a prayer for a specific situation...that is why I am here. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to pray God's Word of Life over you.

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Is that You God?

Do you ever feel like you can’t hear God? Is it that you aren’t noticing His voice? Or is it that something is keeping you from hearing it?

Here are some things I feel keep me from hearing sometimes. (Usually for way too long!)

doubt
lack of faith
busyness
worry
anger
unbelief
sorrow
unforgiveness
sin
pain
offense
money
self-pity
sleep
Winter 11-12 102(Levi is too large for this walker. I keep it out for his cousin who comes to play with us just about every school day. But that does not keep Levi from trying to get in…just about every day. Haha! This particular day he got stuck and gave up while I was making lunch. Sweet tho huh?)

The list goes on. Anything that causes us to take our eyes off God, to focus on ourselves (or someone/something else)…is then a hindrance. Since I’ve been doing my devotions on a regular basis, I’ve been having lots of God revelations. I’ve been hearing Him most through my times of devotion and writing. His Word has become alive to me. You have no idea how happy it makes me to say that! =)

For most of my adult life, a regular devotional routine has been a struggle. First my excuse was that I was working full-time (with the inability to say no to extra  hours). Then it was that I had a newborn baby. Then it was that I was pregnant with a toddler already at home…while working part-time. Each child added on was another excuse I accepted. The responsibilities and expectations of me only grew. Still, each of them were only excuses. Being always tired was an excuse. And I wake up each day with a choice. Get up and meet with God…or sleep.

The fact that I am in what I am referring to as a ‘writing frenzy’ is the result of me choosing God. I’m not saying I don’t fail some days…but God’s grace allows me to still meet with Him at some point. If reading this is making you feel guilty…please know that is not me. Guilt is not of God. God will make you feel convicted for your behavior. Throw guilt back to the pits of hell…and be willing to see God’s plan for your day.

I never intend to make you feel guilt because of where you are. I intend to encourage you…to spur you onward toward Christ. He has blessings to give you. He has knowledge to share with you. He has love to bathe you with. He has wisdom to pass on to you. But He needs time with you. He needs a relationship with His beloved.

For far too long one or more of the examples and excuses I listed above kept me from being consistent. So what does it take? Accountability. I am being help accountable by my brother. And he is being held accountable by me. That is something I really need  right now. Someone to ask me. Not to make me feel bad if I fail…but to encourage me to succeed. Who can that be in your life? Think about it. Pray about it. Let God pick your accountability partner. =)

I don’t want to steer you wrong. During those years I absolutely still heard from God. Just not daily. I was not seeking Him like He was my goal. More like a benefit here and there. How sad that I settled for that! How awful that the scheme of satan was carried out for so long! I can almost hear the conversation in hell now… “Keep her tired. Keep her asleep. Keep her resentful. Keep her offended. Keep in her in a state of self-pity…because it is working. She’s rendering herself less powerful. She’s making our job easy.”

Ugh! Makes me physically sick to think about. It brings tears to my eyes to write. And it makes me angry way down deep. So deep that it is as if my blood boils just to speak of it. Ever felt like that? I guess if my anger makes me turn this time to proving satan wrong…I can handle it. Again I say…I am going to be stubborn in my faith. =)

Don’t let another day go by that you choose to sleep, watch mindless tv, surf the internet…over revelations from God. God is helping me to write a devotional in my time with Him. All I have to do is be awake!

1 comment:

  1. that is a great list you have because there are thousands of things which can keep us from not listening....we should learn to spend more time listening but we let too much distract us from His voice.

    ReplyDelete